Police Officer - Lateral Entry Hiring
The Lansing Police Department is currently
NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
for the Position of Police Officers through a lateral entry process.
- Lateral entry officers may qualify for starting pay increases:
- Officers who have completed two or more years of prior service, as an officer, will start at Step 3 of the CBA's salary schedule (currently at $73,461).
- Officers who have completed one year of prior service, as an officer, will start at Step 2 of the CBA’s salary schedule (currently at $69,444).
- Lansing pay range: $61,854, with a top pay of $92,691
- In addition, the Village provides excellent fringe benefits including:
- Pension plan
- Other retirement savings options
- Health, dental, and life insurance
- Vacation time, Personal days and paid holidays
- The Village also provides officers with an initial hire uniform allowance of $725.00 and a $725.00 yearly uniform allowance. Bullet Proof Vest and on-duty weapon provided to officers.
Current Police Work Schedule:
12-hour schedule- 2 days on/2 days off, 3 days on/2 days off, 2 days on/3 days off – Repeat.
Every other weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) is a scheduled three days off.
- Patrol Officer
- Crime Scene Investigator
- Breathalyzer Operator
- Truck Enforcement Officer
- Range Officer
- Defensive Tactics Instructor
- Tactical Officer
- School Resource Officer
- Field Training Officer
- Juvenile Officer
- Traffic Officer
- DEA Officer
- K-9 Officer
- Emergency Response Team (ERT)
- Suburban Major Accident Reconstruction Team (SMART)
- South Suburban Major Crimes Task Force (SSMCTF)
- ILEAS Mobile Field Force (MFF)
- South Suburban Emergency Response Team (SSERT) Operator and Hostage Negotiator
- Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC)
- Applicants for lateral appointment to the Police Department shall fall into one of the following two categories:
- Applicants who possess a full-time Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (“ILETSB”) police officer certification and have previously been a full-time sworn officer of a regular police department in any municipal, county, university, or State law enforcement agency in the State of Illinois.
- Applicants who possess a police officer certification from another state, are currently employed as a full-time sworn officer of a regular police department in a municipal, county, university, or state law enforcement agency, and have completed a six (6) month probationary period at their current police department. Applicants shall submit evidence of such, and meet all ILETSB standards and requirements to be eligible for the waiver of full-time academy training.
- Applicants shall have one of the following:
- Successfully completed a minimum of two full years (60 hours) of college level course work at a nationally accredited college or university at the time of hire.
- Shall have a high school diploma or equivalent as well as having served at least one (1) continuous year of active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States. Applicants shall provide a certified copy of diploma or equivalent and Form DD-214 as proof of honorable discharge.
- Shall have a high school diploma or equivalent as well as having two (2) years of full-time experience as a state certified law enforcement officer. Applicant shall provide a certified copy of diploma or equivalent and proof of said service as proof of compliance.
- No residency requirements.
- U.S. Citizen with a valid Driver's license.
- Applicants shall be over 21 and under 35 years of age, at the time of application and at such time as the final eligibility list is posted, unless exempt from such age limitation as provided in Section 5/10-2.1-6 of the Fire and Police Commissioner's Act.
- Currently in good standing in the police department in which the person serves.
- Fill out and save the on-line application.
- Submittal of a resume is also required. On your resume, please list any significant training; to include what police academy you attended (name, city and state).
- Submit the completed application and the resume as PDF attachments and send electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Village must electronically receive a completed application and resume by this time in order for you to be eligible for further consideration.
Applicants who successfully meet the qualifications for lateral entry will be considered for oral interviews. Applicants who successfully complete the oral interview, and who are offered a conditional offer of employment, will be required to undergo a background investigation, polygraph, psychological examination, physical examination, and drug test. Any hired applicants will be subject to all relevant Lansing Police Department policies and procedures, as well as any applicable collective bargaining agreement (CBA).
Questions concerning this application process can be addressed to: